Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: "Beginners" guide to the Altec world?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member taskvig's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 28th, 2009
    Posts
    27
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    "Beginners" guide to the Altec world?

    I'm quite new to the wonferful world of Altec and are therefore still a bit confused about all the differnt models of horns, drivers and woofers.

    Is there any "guide" to the different models that's out there? It's not that easy for a beginner to understand the differnce if you read the papers from Altec, so if there is a guide out there or if "we" can write one it would have been great (I would guess I'm not the only one out there with this need )

    I.e.
    What is the difference between 808, 902, 908 and 909?
    Which models are desired and who are not and why? I.e. why do people want 515 and not that much 3156?
    Which horns/drivers fit to each other?
    What hf/lf are good combinations and which is not
    Are aftermarket diaphragms OK to use or should we stay away and only use GPA or Radian?

    (These questions are only meant as examples of questions I would like to have an answer to in this guied)

  2. #2
    HB Forum Owner Todd W. White's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    1,865
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Re: "Beginners" guide to the Altec world?

    My friend Jim Dickinson wrote one once, but since it's his work, I'm not at liberty to share it without permission.

    I'll see what I can do to get permission from him. Perhaps I could make a pdf of it and put it on the website...

    Oh, and RULE #11 in the Altec world: JBL is BAD - you must NEVER expose yourself to the evil world of J-ust B-ig and L-oud!!!!
    Todd W. White, Owner & Webmaster
    Altec Lansing's (unofficial) Homepage

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: "Beginners" guide to the Altec world?

    From the late Bill Meckle website: intro

  4. #4
    HB Forum Owner Todd W. White's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    1,865
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Re: "Beginners" guide to the Altec world?

    Well, that IS, indeed, the write up I was talking about.

    Didn't know Jim had allowed it to be reproduced.

    Oh well - at any rate, now you have it.
    Todd W. White, Owner & Webmaster
    Altec Lansing's (unofficial) Homepage

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: "Beginners" guide to the Altec world?

    Quote Originally Posted by Todd W. White View Post
    Well, that IS, indeed, the write up I was talking about.
    Todd, JimD did the summary? I thought you were talking about the renovation articles.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  6. #6
    Inactive Member notloudenough's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11th, 2008
    Posts
    59
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: "Beginners" guide to the Altec world?

    J-unk B-ut L-oud

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: "Beginners" guide to the Altec world?

    Me too. The information on the Bill Meckle site has been around for a long time. Of course, if it is shown to be an unauthorised copy of Jim's work we can delete the reference.

    Regards, Marshall.

  8. #8
    Hostboard Member lowpoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2009
    Posts
    40
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: "Beginners" guide to the Altec world?

    Quote Originally Posted by Todd W. White View Post
    Oh, and RULE #11 in the Altec world: JBL is BAD - you must NEVER expose yourself to the evil world of J-ust B-ig and L-oud!!!!
    Good Lord, I was completely in the dark regarding Rule #11. I'm glad I read that before I broke the code!!!

  9. #9
    HB Forum Owner Todd W. White's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    1,865
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Re: "Beginners" guide to the Altec world?

    Eckle was a GREAT guy! I had several wonderful email discussions with him - 1st Class!

    I'm sure Jim knows about all this - is there any way Eckle's site could go dark?
    Todd W. White, Owner & Webmaster
    Altec Lansing's (unofficial) Homepage

  10. #10
    Inactive Member 417 - Alnico's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 18th, 2003
    Posts
    201
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: "Beginners" guide to the Altec world?

    I may be wrong!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.